Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Christmas Break, Thus Far

So Spencer just brought it to my attention that it's been a while since i've posted on here, which is actually pretty true. I wish I could say that I've been too busy to post, but I just haven't really had much blog-worthy stuff happen recently. That plus a dash of lazy and about a gallon of watching unhealthy amounts of football over the break, and you get J.P. not posting anything on his blog. So it seems like the number one small talk question has been, "So how's your winter/Christmas break going?" and honestly mine's been, for the most part anyways, pretty boring. I kicked it off on Friday night with a work sesh at the most delicious, albeit most stressful Greek restaurant in town, went home and fell asleep watching Sports Center and texting. Saturday was actually really cool. I got to church around ten in the A.M. to help pass out clothing/personal hygiene items outside of Urban Ministry. When I got there, there was some guy whom I'd never met before, but simply introduced himself as "Mark". Come to find out, Mark was a guy who had at one time lived on the streets, but was, through the help of some people from Westover, making the transition to living in a house of his own. Mark was one of the most awesome people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He had a way of speaking to you that made you feel like absolutely everything he said was 100% legit. A rare quality in this day and age. When we got to Urban Ministry, our bus got absolutely swarmed by homeless people, and there was pushing and shoving and a fight almost broke out, but Mark shut all the doors to the bus and took control of the situation. He had everyone form a single line and after that, it went way more smoothly. It really broke my heart, though, when we started to get to the end of the line, and a lot of people didn't get much more than a pair of too-small gloves and a razor without any shaving cream or soap, and it really killed me when a lady with a little girl walked up and got next to nothing. It was kind of discouraging at first, because i thought that, no matter how hard we tried, no matter how much stuff we collected, there would always be those people at the back of the line that were left wanting. But after further reflection, meditation and prayer, it has really pumped me up even more to start collecting more items so that we can go back as soon as possible and hopefully reach some of the people that we missed. It was great to see the people who really saw Christ working through us. The ones that felt Christ's love oozing out of a mini-bus full of high school kids who decided to not sleep in obscenely late on a Saturday morning, so that they could share that awesome love with the downtrodden people of the city that I love. Needless to say that I'm really freaking glad that all the folks who came out to help did.
Sunday was alright, even though it was pretty boring. I felt like dressing semi-nice that day, so i threw on a dressy-type shirt, some khaki pants, dress shoes and headed off to church, where i got a surprising amount of compliments on my choice of garb that morning, which was pretty cool. I mean who doesn't like being told they look fly? That's what I thought. After church, I went and got a much-needed, even though wayyy over-priced haircut from a lady that smelled like Goodwill. (Cigarette smoke, dust, and mildew, for those who have never graced the aisles of this particular awesome however dirty store.) After that, i washed the irritating little pseudo-hairs out of my scalp, and chilled for the rest of the afternoon, until i watched a very disappointing Panthers game. :[
Monday was also pretty boring until a little after lunch time, when i went with the lovely and talented Ms. Bonnie Shaw, so that she could help me finish up my Christmas shopping at the oh-so-classy Four Seasons Town Centre. (That's right, the "e" is supposed to come after the "r".) I got some pretty sweet stuff that my loved ones will hopefully appreciate. But even if they don't it's always a blast hanging out with Bonnie, since she tends to add an awkward air to just about anything that happens to me, so it was definitely worth it.
Today was most definitely the most boring of the days of my break thus far, as i did nothing. Literally nothing. I lazed around the house in my very flattering Wester Guilford sweatpants. (They make my tushy look good.) Until the UPS guy came by with a big ol' box o' cheese from my Grandparents. I would have knocked the whole thing out then and there, had it not been adressed to my Dad. Then i went to work, which was really irritating and stressfull, especially when an old woman (not lady) cussed me out for something that was someone else's fault. That is, until Blake Adamson and family dropped in, which made my night. After that, it was pretty sweet. haven't done much in between then and now.
I wrote way more than I thought I had inside of me. (Please, no inappropriate jokes about stuff being "inside of me".)
alright, i guess that's it.
¡Nos vemos!

2 comments:

  1. So remember the other week when you burped in my face and I almost passed out? Kaz let out a burp this morning. WORSE. Morning breath combined with just eaten raw cookie dough and last night's tortilla chips before bed. HOLY. CRAP. Your burp was like a shot of Febreeze in my face in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff really! I'd be interested in helping you give out things at Urban Ministry if you ever need another set of hands.

    ReplyDelete